2016 “Rising Star” in Illinois, Super Lawyers
Click for more information:
- Daniel J. Kurowski is a partner at Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP. Since 2006, Mr. Kurowski has focused his practice on protecting the interests of individuals and small companies prejudiced by large corporations and organizations, often in consolidated multi-district litigation proceedings. Based in Chicago, with cases located throughout the country, his current work with the firm covers a diverse variety of complex cases including:
- Representing athletes in both individual personal injury and class-action litigation arising out of concussions/traumatic brain injuries suffered during sporting activities, including in In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation (N.D. Ill.).
- Representing student-athletes in antitrust litigation against the NCAA regarding NCAA scholarship and transfer policies.
- Representing consumers of electricity in action alleging claims against nearly two dozen defendants for perpetuating an extensive fuel oil fraud, resulting in users of electricity in Puerto Rico being overcharged by more than $1 billion dollars for electricity since 2002.
- Contesting a prominent financial company’s deferred annuity sales practices in RICO litigation, including practices negatively impacting senior citizens.
- Representing retail purchasers with antitrust, consumer fraud and/or unjust enrichment claims against sellers and manufacturers of retail products.
- In re Pre-Filled Propane Sales & Marketing Practices Litigation (W.D. Mo.) ($35 million in settlements involving multiple defendants)
- In re Bayer Combination Aspirin Sales & Marketing Practices Litigation (E.D.N.Y.) ($15 million settlement)
- In re Aurora Dairy Organic Milk Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation(E.D. Mo.) ($7.5 million settlement)
- Silk v. Bowling Green State University (Ohio Court of Claims) ($712,500 individual settlement for student-athlete injured as a result of alleged failures to properly manage athlete’s concussions)
- Federal judicial law clerk, Hon. Paul E. Plunkett and Hon. Maria Valdez
- Intern, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois and with Hon. Ronald A. Guzman and his staff
- During law school, Mr. Kurowski received multiple academic scholarships, served as a staff member and Lead Articles Editor for The John Marshall Law Review, and received an award for an appellate brief submitted in a national moot court competition
- Seventh Circuit Electronic Discovery Pilot Program Committee
- Member of American Association for Justice, Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association
- Investigator, Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee
Illinois Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015 - 2018
- Aurora Dairy Corporation Organic Milk Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (E.D. Mo.)
- Bayer Corp. Combination Aspirin Product Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (E.D.N.Y.)
- Bisphenol-A (BPA) Polycarbonate Plastic Products Liability Litigation(W.D. Mo.)
- Pre-Filled Propane Tank Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (W.D. Mo.)
- RC2 Corp. Toy Lead Paint Products Liability Litigation (N.D. Ill.)
Dan enjoys staying active by competing in cyclocross races and equally intense races chasing after his two children. Before called to practice law, Dan’s work included delivering flowers, selling architecture river cruise tickets and retailing compact discs… back when people still bought CDs.