Mr. DeStefano takes special pride in protecting the public against broad-based frauds and swindles and the corruption of honest enterprise.
Click for more information:
- Associate, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on consumer and antitrust class actions as well as media and entertainment litigation
- Obtained court approval of $400 million settlement to compensate Hyundai and Kia owners for misstatement of EPA fuel economy ratings. Settlement payments averaged $353 for Hyundai owners and $667 for Kia owners.
- In nationwide class action by truck drivers underpaid by hundreds of millions of dollars, prevailed in interlocutory appeal before the Arizona Court of Appeals to reinstate class status and successfully opposed further review by the Arizona Supreme Court, allowing the case to proceed to trial.
- Authored appellate brief for NFL legend Jim Brown in right-of-publicity suit against Electronic Arts for the unauthorized use of his likeness in Madden NFL video games. Shortly after briefing, Electronic Arts agreed to a $600,000 judgment in favor of Brown.
- Snell & Wilmer LLP 2009-2013
- American Inns of Court Pegasus Scholar 2012: study of commercial, media, and privacy law with barristers and judges in the U.K.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona, Law Clerk to the Hon. Neil V. Wake 2008-2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Law Clerk to the Hon. William C. Canby, Jr. 2007-2008
- Barrister Trustee, American Inns of Court
- Program Chair (current), Treasurer (past), Lorna Lockwood American Inn of Court
- American Association for Justice
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star: Class Action/Mass Tort 2015 - 2017
- Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona Award 2013
- In re Pre-Filled Propane Tank Antitrust Litigation
- In re Hyundai & Kia Fuel Economy Litigation
- Sheridan v. iHeartMedia; Sheridan v. Sirius XM and Pandora Media
- Jim Brown v. Electronic Arts Inc.
- In re NCAA Student-Athlete Name and Likeness Licensing Litigation
- Antonick v. Electronic Arts Inc.
- In re Swift Transportation Co., Inc.
- Obtained a published reversal of a deportation order in a hotly disputed immigration appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (pro bono)
- Represented an international human rights organization as amicus curiae in the U.S. Supreme Court case Moloney v. United States, opposing the enforcement of a foreign law enforcement subpoena for confidential academic research in the U.S. (pro bono)
- Co-author of the Arizona and Colorado chapters of the ABA’s “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions” (2d ed.)
When John’s great-grandfather came from Italy to Boston, he lost his life savings to a man he met named Charles Ponzi. A century later, John takes special pride in protecting the public against broad-based frauds and swindles and the corruption of honest enterprise.