Led efforts on behalf of three law firms protecting the interests of more than 25,000 asbestos sufferers, resulting in the denial of the debtors’ proposed plan of reorganization and a substantial payment to the claimants.
Click for more information:
- Of Counsel, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on prosecution of large-scale, nationwide class actions, primarily against the pharmaceutical industry
- Works on behalf of large health care providers, seeking recoveries from tortfeasors associated with payments the providers make as a result of the harm they have caused
- Works on the Direct Purchaser Class Action cases in Lipitor and Effexor
- Represented a variety of states, including the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, in their cases against the tobacco industry
- Led efforts on behalf of three law firms protecting the interests of more than 25,000 asbestos sufferers, resulting in the denial of the debtors’ proposed plan of reorganization and a substantial payment to the claimants
- Prior bankruptcy experience included representing an Ad Hoc Committee of Trade Creditors in the In re WorldCom matter, resulting in a near 50% increase in the clients’ recovery
- Represented large groups of investors in litigation brought against offshore hedge funds, pursuing the recovery of hundreds of millions of dollars
- Represented national and international clients on a full range of patent litigation issues, including proceedings before the International Trade Commission
- Successful eminent domain trials, representing companies and individuals on a variety of labor and employment issues including non-compete agreements and various intellectual property matters
- Income Partner, Litigation Department for a large Boston-based law firm
- Bankruptcy-related litigation
- Lead efforts on behalf of three law firms protecting the interests of more than 25,000 claimants suffering from asbestos-related diseases, to block a proposed plan of reorganization. During more than 5 years of litigation, succeeded in forcing numerous changes to the proposed plan, including the voting methodology, amount of contribution and distributions. Pursued several interlocutory appeals throughout the case. Oversaw and managed all aspects of this complex litigation, culminating in a successful 20-day bench trial conducted in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, after which the Court rejected the proposed bankruptcy plan, thereby securing a substantial benefit for the clients.
- One of a team of lawyers representing the interests of The Ad Hoc Committee of Trade Creditors in the In re WorldCom matter, resulting in increasing our clients’ recoveries by nearly 50%.
- Mass Torts/Class Actions
- Played pivotal role in representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in landmark litigation against the Tobacco Industry, including establishing personal jurisdiction in Massachusetts over the United Kingdom-based parent company to Brown & Williamson. This work product, as well as the resulting Court decision, was relied upon by Attorneys General throughout the country in their cases against the Tobacco Industry.
- Following the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ action, lead Brown Rudnick’s efforts in pursuing a
Successfully defended a class action case brought against a major credit card issuer, obtaining a denial of class certification and dismissal of individual’s claims.
- Successfully defended a class action case brought against a major credit card issuer, obtaining a denial of class certification and dismissal of individual’s claims.
- Complex Financial Litigation
- Successfully represented a group of more than 65 investors in offshore hedge funds, pursuing recoveries for over $600 million of invested capital lost due to fraudulent practices of hedge fund manager.
- General Commercial Litigation
- Represented former attorney whose malpractice insurer had refused defense and indemnity after an office worker embezzled millions of dollars in client funds. Following a five-week Superior Court trial, secured a verdict in favor of the client, holding the insurance company responsible for more than $2 million in liability to the insured’s former client. Successfully defended insurer’s appeal of the trial court decision in the Appeals Court. Subsequently brought a case against the insurance company under Chapter 93a, resulting in a multi-million dollar recovery for the client.
- Obtained a substantial recovery for a client whose intellectual property was wrongfully assigned to a third-party. Achieved a pre-trial settlement with the assigning party while pursuing a bench trial in Middlesex Superior Court against the party using the software.
- Served as “first chair” in a complex, multi-week bench trial in federal court over breach of multi-million dollar commercial contract concerning sale of radiology equipment, including prevailing on counter-claim seeking to impose multi-million dollar liability.
- Patent Litigation
- Represented national and international clients on a full range of patent litigation issues, including trials.
- Successful litigator before the United States International Trade Commission, including obtaining favorable outcome for a client protecting their intellectual property rights against an infringer based in Sweden.
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Defended client interests in a variety of matters, including those involving non-competition agreements, wrongful terminations, and harassment claims.
- Successfully represented companies enforcing non-compete agreements against former employees, as well as new employers/former employees in avoiding the terms of non-compete agreements.
- Handled trials before administrative bodies, including the U.S. Department of Labor, including defending a client against claims made under the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (“STAA”) following the termination of an employee/truck driver.
- Other Litigation
- Represented client in an eminent domain trial, resulting in a jury award more than 10 times the Commonwealth’s pro tanto offer.
Greg is married with three children and lives in Boston, MA. Greg played varsity ice hockey in college.