- Ms. Evans is currently an of counsel attorney at Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP.
- Jeannie is a trial lawyer specializing in high-stakes, complex litigation and taking on the nation’s most powerful corporations in lawsuits challenging anticompetitive activity, fraud and other wrongful conduct. She has obtained sizable settlements for plaintiffs, as well as meaningful policy changes and other injunctive relief benefiting her clients into the future.
- She has extensive experience and facility working with experts in economics and accounting regarding financial fraud and damages issues.
- Her areas of practice include:
- Antitrust litigation: price-fixing, monopolization, tying, unfair competition, collusion among competitors to stifle competition and other restraints on free and fair markets
- Deceptive business practices, fraud and consumer rights
- Securities fraud and financial fraud: shareholder derivative suits, insider trading, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and violations of federal securities laws and SEC, CFTC, NFA and CEA rules and regulations
- Whistleblower investigations: representation of anonymous whistleblowers with the SEC and CFTC
- Class-action litigation
- Prior to joining Hagens Berman, Jeannie gained significant litigation experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in various roles:
- Co-founder and managing partner of Agrawal Evans LLP, a commercial litigation boutique firm based in Chicago. Achieved successful results representing both plaintiffs and defendants
- Trial attorney at Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Chicago), defended antitrust and securities fraud class actions on behalf of corporate clients
- Trial attorney at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, defended securities fraud class actions on behalf of corporate clients
- Law Clerk, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Alex Kozinski
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Judge Susan Illston
- Jeannie engages in pro bono legal work on behalf of refugees and others in her community who lack access to legal services.
- President, Board Member, Harvard Law Society of Illinois, 2016-present
- Chicago Chapter Chair, Board Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, 2016-present
- BYU Law School Board of Advisors, 2017-2020
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2016-2018
- Women of Influence Nominee, Best Lawyers, 2017
- In re Broiler Chicken Antitrust Litigation, assisted Hagens Berman team prosecuting class action against the largest U.S. producers of chicken, for conspiracy to reduce the supply and increase the price of chicken. The firm has achieved $181 million in recovery to date.
- Fiat Chrysler (FCA) Franchise Dealerships Litigation (Napleton’s Arlington Heights, et al. v. FCA), served as lead attorney prosecuting claims on behalf of seven auto dealerships against Fiat Chrysler for fraudulent and anticompetitive sales practices. Ms. Evans helped clients achieve a favorable settlement.
- Hotel Room Overpricing Litigation (Tichy et al. v. Hyatt Corp. et al.), Jeannie is on the team prosecuting class action against the five largest U.S. hotel chains for rigging the market for online advertising of hotel rooms.
- Real-Estate Commissions Antitrust Litigation (Moehrl et al v. National Association of Realtors et al), Jeannie works with the Hagens Berman team and their co-counsel to prosecute this class action against the largest US real estate brokerage firms and the National Association of Realtors for colluding to perpetuate rules that operate to reduce competition and artificially inflate the price of commissions paid to real estate agents.
- City of Sycamore Water Contamination Litigation (Jennifer Campbell, et al. v. City of Sycamore), In this matter, she is on the team prosecuting claims by residents against their city for creating a water crisis through decades of failure to replace or maintain the city’s deteriorating water infrastructure, leaving many residents without consistent access to clean and safe water.
- Containerboard Antitrust Litigation (Kleen Products LLC et al. v. Internat’l Paper Co. et al.), Jeannie defended containerboard producers in this multibillion-dollar horizontal price-fixing case.
- Department of Justice (DOJ) Antitrust Investigation, She represented a corporate client in a DOJ investigation regarding a potential merger.
- Securities Fraud Class Action, Jeannie defended a company and its officers and directors in claims arising out of a financial restatement, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Shareholder Derivative Litigation, She obtained pre-discovery dismissal with prejudice for defendant General Motors in this shareholder derivative suit seeking to unwind GM’s $3 billion acquisition.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Breach of Contract, Ms. Evans represented global alternative asset management firm, hedge fund, owner of asset management firm and foreign investor in claim against Chicago-based hedge fund manager for violations of federal securities laws and SEC, CFTC, NFA and CEA rules and regulations, and for failure to pay out investor clients at the fund’s reported NAV. She achieved successful recovery for clients.
- Trade Secret / Non-Compete / Misappropriation of Corporate Opportunity Litigation, Jeannie represented a private equity company and portfolio hospital company in a $300 million dispute.
- “Basics of Accounting for Lawyers,” Practicing Law Institute, 2015
- “Basics of Accounting for Lawyers,” Practicing Law Institute, 2014
- “Preparing the Expert Witness for Deposition,” Pincus Professional Education
Jeannie loves sports and the outdoors. In particular, she enjoys body surfing, hiking, swimming in Lake Michigan, running along Chicago’s Lakefront Trail, and playing tennis with friends and family.