- Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on class-action lawsuits and complex litigation, including consumer rights. Ms. Kras’ practice also focuses on personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death and bad-faith insurance claims.
- Ms. Kras has extensive expertise in complex litigation in a variety of commercial contexts, including actions involving various contractual breaches, RICO violations, securities fraud, negligent and intentional torts and federal and state employment law.
- Michella was part of a litigation team that secured a $95 million class action settlement with Apple for Apple’s failure to honor its AppleCare warranties. Apple promised consumers who purchased AppleCare warranties that they would receive “equivalent to new” replacement iPhones and iPads. But consumers had no way of knowing that the replacement devices they received were not equivalent to new devices. The litigation team uncovered evidence that these replacement devices were inferior, which was concealed from consumers. The litigation team hired world-class experts to show that these replacement devices had a shorter lifespan and were more likely to fail than a new iPhone or iPad. The $95 million settlement provides direct payments to all class members who received these inferior devices. In 2022, Judge Orrick granted final approval, noting that a $95 million settlement “on an untested theory” was an “excellent settlement” for the class.
- In 2014, Michella was part of a litigation team that settled a data breach case against Maricopa County Community Colleges. In 2013, a data hack exposed the PII of about 2.4 million students, graduates, employees, and vendors. The litigation team secured credit monitoring for all 2.4 million class members.
- Michella worked as an associate at another firm, where she was a member of the commercial and securities litigation group. Ms. Kras worked on complex litigation matters involving private securities offerings, private lending, asset purchase agreements, shareholder and member disputes, and federal and state wage and hour disputes.
- As an associate at a different law firm, her work included civil litigation, employment law, election law, health care law, and estate planning.
- Michella served as a judicial law clerk for the Arizona Supreme Court, where her work consisted of a variety of appeals, including civil cases, criminal actions, and attorney discipline.
- Consistent commitment to pro bono work; Michella has worked on several pro bono matters, including obtaining Special Juvenile Immigrant Status for a teenager that was brought to the United States as a toddler and later abandoned by her parent.
- Former volunteer and member of the steering committee for Wills for Heroes, an organization that provides free estate planning for Arizona’s first responders.
- Rising Star, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2014-2015
- State Bar of Arizona President’s Volunteer Service Award, 2010
- Maldonado v. Apple, Inc.
- In re Swift Transportation Co, Inc.
- Liebich v. Maricopa Country Community Colleges District
- Co-author, “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions,” West Virginia chapter of the American Bar Association, 2nd edition
- Co-author, “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions” West Virginia chapter of the American Bar Association, 3rd edition