Has your Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep or Ram vehicle overconsumed oil, or spontaneously shut off when oil pressure is low?
Your car may have a dangerous and costly low oil pressure defect, and Fiat Chrysler refuses to take responsibility. You may be entitled to reimbursement. Find out your rights »
Models with 2.4L TigerShark MultiAir II engines, including:
- 2015 - 2016 Chrysler 200
- 2013 - 2016 Dodge Dart
- 2016 - 2020 Fiat 500X
- 2017 - 2020 Fiat Toro
- 2014 - 2020 Jeep Cherokee
- 2017 - 2020 Jeep Compass
- 2015 - 2020 Jeep Renegade
- 2015 - 2020 Ram ProMaster City
FIAT CHRYSLER OIL PRESSURE DEFECT EXPLAINED
Hagens Berman has filed a class-action lawsuit based on consumer complaints that various Fiat Chrysler automotives routinely overconsume oil, causing costly maintenance. The oil overconsumption also reportedly leads to low oil pressure, triggering a defect in the affected Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep and Ram vehicles to spontaneously shut off while in operation. This can occur in the middle of intersections or even on the freeway. According to vehicle owner reports, there is no indicator to show actual remaining oil life to warn drivers of potentially sudden shut down. Owners have experienced the defect in nearly new models.
The affected FCA vehicles have 2.4L TigerShark MultiAir II engines.
FIAT CHRYSLER KNEW ABOUT OIL OVERCONSUMPTION
Documents issued by Fiat Chrysler to dealerships via technical service bulletins (TSBs) indicate that the automaker has been aware of the rampant issue of oil overconsumption since at least 2015.
In the issued document, FCA acknowledged the high oil consumption rate of a quart every 750 miles. But the TSB suggests – and owner forums confirm – consumption rate can be higher. This rapid consumption causes vehicles to unexpectedly shut down more frequently.
FCA OWNER COMPLAINTS
Owners of affected Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep and Ram vehicles have taken to online forums and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to report the low oil pressure defect, overconsumption and unexpected engine shut offs/shut downs:
- "My car completely stalled as I was going to enter the ramp to the I10. It could have been very bad if it happened once I entered the I10. I had my 1 year old with me in the scorching hot sun of Tucson Arizona waiting for a tow truck."
- "... the service tech said the Compass burns oil and service is at 4500. Really? isn't that something you should be told before leasing or buying that it is known for going through oil?"
- "...MAJOR flaw... My brand new Jeep shut off on me (WHILE DRIVING) several different times and I was told at the dealership that it was because I needed an oil change. My dash told me I had 30% left before it needed an oil change. It apparently has a mechanism that will detect either low oil or an oil change needed and just kill the engine... The car never gave an indicator. Any one else experience this huge and very serious issue?"
- "Dealership said there’s been an issue with these using oil. 3 quarts in the first 3000 miles? Never heard of such a thing on a brand new vehicle."
- "I got an oil change and this morning while driving my car shut off again. I checked the oil dip stick and sure thing it had not one single drop of oil! How is that even possible? My car burns the oil completely! I just got an oil change 2 months ago!"
YOUR CONSUMER RIGHTS
Hagens Berman believes vehicle owners deserve more, and that Fiat Chrysler should be held accountable for selling defective vehicles that can put owners and passengers in danger. While FCA would rather wait until it is forced to act, we think those affected by this issue should receive immediate help.
TOP AUTO LITIGATION FIRM
Hagens Berman is one of the most successful auto litigation law firms in the U.S. The firm has achieved many of the largest settlements in automotive class-action lawsuits on behalf of vehicle owners, including hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements against Fiat Chrysler for various forms of publicly withheld defects and emissions violations. Your claim will be handled by attorneys experienced in automotive consumer law.
NO COST TO YOU
There is no out-of-pocket cost or fee to join this case. In the event Hagens Berman or any other firm obtains a settlement that provides benefits to class members, the court will determine and award reasonable fees and costs to the class’s legal team.