04/04/22 | CASE UPDATE
After conducting discovery, attorneys representing vehicle owners agreed to dismiss this class action, with each side bearing its own costs. All legal claims can become invalid if they are not brought or prosecuted within a prescribed period of time. As a result, if you intend to further pursue claims against Toyota regarding this matter we urge you to seek other legal counsel at the earliest possible time.
- 2010-2015 Toyota Prius
- 2010-2015 Toyota Prius PHV
- 2012-2015 Toyota Prius V
- 2012-2015 Toyota Prius C
- 2012-2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- 2013-2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
TOYOTA BRAKE DEFECT EXPLAINED
Hagens Berman investigated a hazardous brake defect thought to affect hundreds of thousands of Toyota vehicles that reportedly caused the vehicle's braking system to completely fail, leading to high risk of crash, injury and potential fatality. The defect was believed to stem from the vehicles' brake booster pump assemblies, which a Toyota dealership owner reportedly stated was "causing crashes that are injuring people," adding that "Toyota is mishandling it."
The defect manifested even in new, or almost new vehicles, and drivers report the instance of the defect especially when attempting to brake while traversing bumpy or slick surfaces such as potholes, metal sheets or ice, but reports to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also document the defect in many various other conditions, leading to crashes and injuries.
Owners reported that the defect essentially rendered their brakes inoperative under normal driving conditions.
TOYOTA OWNER COMPLAINTS
Toyota owners detailed instances of brake failure and crashes in reports to the NHTSA:
- "My brakes consistently lock and the car lunges forward...This caused a crash when the car was only a couple years old when the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and it lunged forward into the back of a car. This is extremely dangerous and I've seen this comment often with this vehicle. I don't understand why Toyota has not addressed this issue."
- “Driving vehicle down highway, tapped brakes but brakes did not work, all the lights on my dash lit up. I lost traction in brakes causing vehicle to lose control."
- "When the brakes are pressed, if you hit a bump or pothole, the brakes lock and the car hydroplanes..."
- "...I had no control over the car or the speed. This is [sic] major safety hazard since someone could have been seriously injured with losing control of the brake and acceleration."
- "Car lurches forward when brakes are applied on bumpy of uneven surfaces, as well as slippery surfaces such as metal plates...It's scary and I feel lucky I haven't hit anyone."
- "...scared daily by the unsafe driving conditions due to the car's tendency to lurch forward while braking over bumpy ground or potholes..."