Own a Toyota or Lexus vehicle that stops, sputters, stalls or fails to accelerate as expected? Have you had to replace your vehicle's low-pressure fuel pump or engine?
A dangerous defect is causing premature failure of fuel system components in Toyota and Lexus vehicles, leading to increased risk of crash and costly repair bills. You may be entitled to reimbursement. Fill out the form to find out your rights »
The firm's investigation includes all Toyota and Lexus vehicles equipped with DENSO low-pressure fuel pumps and fuel pump assemblies that begin with part number prefixes 23220- and 23221s- and specifically, the following models:
- 2014 - 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Toyota 4Runner
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Avalon
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Camry
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Corolla
- 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
- 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
- 2017 - 2019 Toyota Highlander
- 2014 - 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser
- 2019 - 2020 Toyota RAV4
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Sequoia
- 2017 - 2020 Toyota Sienna
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Tacoma
- 2018 - 2020 Toyota Tundra
- 2018 - 2020 Lexus ES350
- 2017 Lexus GS 200t
- 2018 - 2019 Lexus GS300
- 2013 - 2015 and 2017 - 2019 Lexus GS350
- 2014 - 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Lexus GX460
- 2014 Lexus IS-F
- 2017 Lexus IS200t
- 2018 - 2019 Lexus IS300
- 2014 - 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Lexus IS350
- 2018 - 2020 Lexus LC500
- 2018 - 2019 Lexus LC500h (Hybrid)
- 2013 - 2015 Lexus LS460
- 2018 - 2020 Lexus LS500
- 2018 - 2020 Lexus LS500h (Hybrid)
- 2014 - 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Lexus LX570
- 2015 Lexus NX200t
- 2018 - 2019 Lexus NX 300
- 2018 - 2019 Lexus RC300
- 2017 Lexus RC200t
- 2015 and 2018 - 2019 Lexus RC350
- 2017 - 2020 Lexus RX350
- 2018 - 2020 Lexus RX350L
- 2019 Lexus UX 200
"...A NIGHTMARE VEHICLE"
According to the firm's investigation, a defect in the DENSO fuel pump installed in the affected Toyota and Lexus vehicles leaves vehicle owners at risk of spontaneous vehicle shutdown, engine stall and other safety risks that increase the likelihood of a crash or injury.
Many owners of affected vehicles have taken to online forums and NHTSA (the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration) to report complaints pertaining to the DENSO fuel pump defect:
- "2019 Highlander XLE loses power, unable to accelerate, & jerks and stalls in traffic. Bought at 200 miles, certified preowned. It is a nightmare vehicle."
- "Almost got hit this time, man behind me coming fast and had to swerve into lane over to miss me. This car is going to kill me or someone by causing an accident if they do not get it fixed right."
- "First time it stalled it started to lose power put -put and chug like jerking and all dash and electrical on dash went out, unable to accelerate, then stalled out in road, unable to steer or control vehicle."
- "I have had constant problems with my 2018 Camry since purchasing May 2018. My car is always jerking as I accelerate and when I'm driving in town, feels like I'm getting rear-ended and hesitating on highway when I have to accelerate into traiffic [sic] which is very dangerous when the car won't get up and go."
DENSO FUEL PUMP DEFECT EXPLAINED
The low-pressure fuel pump is an integral component of safe vehicle operation, and the affected Toyota and Lexus models suffer from a fundamental design flaw that causes the fuel pump to prematurely fail. As Toyota admitted, the impeller in its low-pressure fuel pump absorbs fuel and water, causing it to degrade and deform. The deformed impeller comes in contact with the fuel pump body, creating excess running resistance, causing “illumination of check engine and master warning indicators, rough engine running, engine no start and/or vehicle stall[ing]...” according to reports.
When the fuel pump fails, gasoline is not supplied to the engine, causing reduced engine power, stalling, and/or engine shutdown. Compounding the problem, the fuel pump defect occurs spontaneously with no advance warning to the consumer, thereby creating an extremely dangerous condition for drivers and occupants.
YOUR CONSUMER RIGHTS
Hagens Berman believes that consumers have the right to replacement costs of vehicle parts and deserve compensation for Toyota's failure to sell them a safe vehicle. Consumers deserve answers and have rights under the law against Toyota for having sold a defective vehicle that put them at risk of injury or death.
TOP AUTO LITIGATION FIRM
Hagens Berman is one of the most successful auto litigation law firms in the U.S. and is presently leading nationwide cases against major automakers for emissions-cheating, safety defects and negligence, and your claim will be handled by attorneys experienced in automotive consumer law. The firm also brought a record-setting automotive litigation case against Toyota for its sudden unintended acceleration defect, achieving a $1.6 billion settlement for vehicle owners.
NO COST TO YOU
There is no cost or fee whatsoever involved in joining this case. In the event Hagens Berman or any other firm obtains a settlement that provides benefits to class members, the court will decide a reasonable fee to be awarded to the class' legal team. In no case will any class member ever be asked to pay any out-of-pocket sum.