- Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Leads the firm’s whistleblower practice and litigates select class-action cases
- Litigates and argues both False Claims Act and class-action cases in federal district courts and on appeal at the courts of appeal nationwide
- Experienced in successfully handling whistleblower cases against some of the world’s largest financial companies, medical device and pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, mortgage companies and others
- Represents dozens of whistleblowers under the Dodd-Frank whistleblower programs of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), including two of the most prominent whistleblowers under these programs, with cases in regional enforcement offices across the country
- Currently represents several qui tam relators under the federal and various state False Claims Act laws, in both declined and intervened cases and many still under investigation. His False Claims Act practice includes, among other areas of focus, Medicare and Medicaid health care fraud, financial fraud, mortgage fraud, defense industry and other procurement fraud, education fraud, and grant-funding fraud.
- Litigates class-action cases on behalf of veterans, consumers, workers and investors
- Litigates select human rights and other public interest matters, including previous litigation against the Rio Tinto mining conglomerate that reached the Supreme Court in 2013 for war crimes on the island of Bougainville, in Papua New Guinea, and a current pending suit against SeaWorld
- Previously a felony prosecutor who successfully tried several multi-week jury trials and argued several cases in trial and appellate courts
- Mr. Stevenson represents Dodd-Frank SEC whistleblower Haim Bodek in the recent SEC action against the New York Stock Exchange and affiliated exchanges for, among other things, their unlawful and undisclosed use of order types. In the Matter of New York Stock Exchange LLC, et al. (SEC order) (2018)
- Mr. Stevenson helped represent a class of over 126,000 military servicemembers challenging Bank of America’s alleged violations of the Servicemember Civil Relief Act, which requires financial institutions to limit the interest charged on loans to active duty servicemembers. In February of 2018, the Court granted final approval of a nationwide class settlement of nearly $42 million for these military families. Childress v. Bank of America Corp., et al., 15-cv-00231 (E.D.N.C.) (2018).
- Mr. Stevenson represented the highly publicized anonymous Dodd-Frank CFTC whistleblower who single-handedly brought to authorities, through his proprietary analysis of market and trading data, the international market manipulator later identified as Navinder Sarao, whose market manipulation through spoofing contributed to the “Flash Crash.” Mr. Sarao was extradited and pled guilty in November of 2016. CFTC v. Nav Sarao Futures Ltd. 15-cv-3398 (N.D. Ill.) (civil); U.S. v. Sarao 15-cr-75 (N.D. Ill.) (criminal)
- Mr. Stevenson also represented another high-profile Dodd-Frank SEC whistleblower, the algorithmic trader and market structure expert Haim Bodek, rewarded in 2017 for his single-handed identification of securities law violations by a major U.S. financial exchange. Mr. Bodek was twice featured on the front page of the Wall Street Journal for his efforts, which led to the largest SEC fine in history against a financial exchange. In the Matter of EDGA Exchange, Inc., et al. (SEC Order)
- Mr. Stevenson handled both False Claims Act whistleblower cases against Bank of America that culminated in the historic $1 billion settlement between the Department of Justice and Bank of America addressing mortgage fraud and whistleblower awards to both clients in unrelated litigation. First, whistleblower client Mr. Kyle Lagow (in U.S. ex rel. Lagow v. Countrywide Financial Corp.) (E.D.N.Y.) sparked a Department of Justice investigation of Countrywide and Bank of America’s fraudulent mortgage origination and appraisal practices. Second, whistleblower client Mr. Gregory Mackler (in U.S. ex rel. Mackler v. Bank of America) (E.D.N.Y.) helped the Department of Treasury recover several million dollars from Bank of America for allegedly violating its agreement with the Department to properly administer the Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP) for struggling homeowners.
- King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Felony Prosecutor
- Law Clerk, Honorable Betty B. Fletcher, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2001-02
- Law Clerk, Honorable Charles S. Haight, Jr., Southern District of New York, 2000-01
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Connecticut, Intern
- In the Matter of Cargill, Inc. (CFTC Order) (represented CFTC whistleblower in action against the largest private company in the United States)
- Childress v. Bank of America Corp., et al., Eastern District of North Carolina (represented class of over 125,000 military servicemembers and secured nearly $42 million settlement for violations of the SCRA) (2018)
- In the Matter of New York Stock Exchange, et al. (SEC Order) (represents SEC whistleblower in action tying record fine against financial exchange) (2018)
- United States v. Sarao & CFTC v. Nav Sarao Futures Ltd., Northern District of Illinois; (represented anonymous CFTC whistleblower in market manipulation prosecution)
- In the Matter of EDGA Exchange, Inc., et al. (SEC Order) (represented SEC whistleblower in action culminating in largest fine against a U.S. exchange in history)
- U.S. ex rel. Lagow v. Bank of America, Eastern District of New York (False Claims Act – FHA fraud)
- U.S. ex rel. Mackler v. Bank of America, Eastern District of New York (False Claims Act – HAMP fraud)
- U.S. ex rel. Nowak v. Medtronic, Inc., District of Massachusetts (False Claims Act – off-label marketing of medical devices)
- U.S. ex rel. Kite v. Besler Consulting, et al., District of New Jersey (False Claims Act – Medicare “outlier” fraud)
- U.S. ex rel. Polansky v. Pfizer, Inc., Eastern District of New York (False Claims Act – off-label marketing of Lipitor)
- Sarei v. Rio Tinto, Central District of California (Alien Tort Statute – international human rights litigation)
- Tittle v. United States Postal Service, Western District of Washington (Privacy Act – employee class action)
- Hutchinson v. British Airways PLC, Eastern District of New York (Montreal Convention – consumer class action)
Media Interviews and Commentary
Media interviews and commentary
- “SEC Redefines Blockbuster with $114M Whistleblower Award,” Law360, Oct. 22, 2020
- “CFTC Takes Extra Care to Cover Whistleblower Tracks,” Law360, Sept. 10, 2020
- “Robbins Geller, Hagens Berman to Lead Pot Investors’ Row,” Law360, July 24, 2020
- “CFTC Awards Whistleblower $6m, Slams ‘Baseless’ Objection,” Law360, June 9, 2020
- “SEC Ramps Up Whistleblower Awards,” Wall St. Journal, May 4, 2020
- “CFTC Calls for Whistleblower Tips as Enforcement Evolves,” Law360, Sept. 19, 2019.
- “Pharma Co. Inks $17.5m Deal to End FCA Kickback Suit,” Law360, April 30, 2019.
- “Attorneys Reflect on Escobar’s FCA Impact 2 Years Later,” Law360, June 15, 2018.
- “SeaWorld Visitors Ask 9th Cir. to Flip Whale Abuse Suit,” Law360, Mar. 12, 2018.
- “Dodd-Frank Whistleblowers Help Clean Up Our Markets,” (Guest Column) ValueWalk, Feb. 6, 2018.
- “Attorneys React to DOJ’s New Memo on FCA Dismissals,” Law360, Jan. 26, 2018.
- “Limiting Whistleblower Rewards Weakens Program,” Bloomberg Law, Nov. 2, 2017.
- "BofA's $42m Military Member Fee Settlement Wins Initial OK," Law360, Sept. 13, 2017
- "Sarao Flash Crash Manipulation Case Benchmarks Point in History," ValueWalk, Nov. 15, 2016
- "What SEC Whistleblowers Should Know About Insider Trading," (Guest Column) ValueWalk, Oct. 20, 2016
- "SeaWorld Patrons Ask 9th Cir. to Restore Orca Abuse Suit," Law360, Sept. 20, 2016
- "SEC cracks down on severance agreements that deter whistleblowing," Reuters, Aug. 16, 2016
- "Tax Court Interprets ‘Collected Proceeds’ Expansively for Whistleblowers," Standard Fed. Tax Reports, Aug. 11, 2016
- "Whistleblower Persuades Tax Court to Grant Discovery Motion," Standard Fed. Tax Reports, Aug. 4, 2016
- "Health Fraud Defense Attys Riding High As Wins Pile Up," Law360, Apr. 8, 2016
- "CFTC Whistleblower Office Comes of Age with Record Bounty," Law360, Apr. 4, 2016
- "Why Wash.’s Medicaid False Claims Act Must be Renewed," Law360, Mar. 24, 2016
- “Renew Tool That Fights Fraud," (Guest Column), The Daily Herald, Feb. 21, 2016
- "CFTC Can’t Give Whistleblower Money Away," Wall St. Journal, Feb. 8, 2016
- "9th Circuit's FCA Ruling to Spark More Whistleblower Fights," Law360, July 9, 2015
- "Flash Crash' Case Gets Scrutinized," Automated Trader, May 4, 2015
- "Flash Crash Whistleblower May Get Millions of Dollars," Reuters, Apr. 23, 2015
- "'Flash Crash' Arrest Shakes Investors’ Confidence," USA Today, Apr. 23, 2015
- "Alleged ‘Flash Crash’ Trader Told UK Watchdog to Ban HFT," Law360, Apr. 23, 2015
- "UK Trader Arrested Over 2010 Flash Crash," Financial Times, Apr. 22, 2015
- "Flash Crash Whistleblower May See Multi-Million Dollar Pay Day," Reuters, Apr. 22, 2015
- "'Flash Crash' Charges Filed," The Wall Street Journal (front-page), Apr. 21, 2015
- "UK Speed Trader Arrested," Reuters, Apr. 21, 2015
- "How a Mystery Trader May Have Caused the Flash Crash," Bloomberg, Apr. 21, 2015
- "CFTC, Feds Accuse UK HFT Trader of Role in Flash Crash," Law360, Apr. 21, 2015
- "BATS to Pay $14 Million to Settle Direct Edge Order-Type Case: A Record Amount," The Wall Street Journal, Jan. 12, 2015.
- "BATS Exchange to Pay Record $14 Million SEC Fine," Reuters, Jan. 12, 2015
- "BATS to Pay $14m SEC Fine in Wake of Order-Type Scandal," Automated Trader, Jan. 12, 2015
- "SEC Issues Largest Fine Ever to Exchange Over High-Frequency Trading Infractions," ValueWalk, Jan. 12, 2015.
- "IRS Releases Comprehensive Whistleblower Final Regs.," Standard Fed. Tax Reports, Aug. 14, 2014
- "Bank of America Whistleblower’s Payday Lead to Calls for Reform," Law360, Aug. 6, 2014
- "UBS Whistleblower Ruling Reignites Arbitration Debate," Law360, Jan. 30, 2014
- "With $2B J&J Deal, FCA Proves It’s Still The Anti-Fraud King," Law360, Nov. 4, 2013
- "Bank of America Fraud Trial Spotlights Whistleblower Awards," Reuters, Sept. 27, 2013
- "FCPA Whistleblower Bounty May Turn Tide For SEC Program," Law360, Aug. 20, 2013
- "Whistleblower Attorneys Eye DOJ Fraud Theory for New Bounties," Law360, Aug. 7, 2013
- "SEC’s Second Whistleblower Award is Tip of the Iceberg," Law360, June 14, 2013
- "UBS Ruling Allays Fear Factor for SEC Whistleblowers," Law360, May 22, 2013
- "Five Tips for Building Bridges with Whistleblowers," Law360, Mar. 20, 2013
- "Analysis: Complaints Rise Over Complex U.S. Stock Orders," Reuters, Oct. 19, 2012
- "For Superfast Stock Traders, a Way to Jump Ahead in Line," Wall St. Journal (front-page) Sept. 19, 2012
- "UBS Whistleblower Nets $104 Million Award," CNN Money, Sept. 12, 2012”
- "Bank of America/Countrywide Whistleblower Kept 3-Year Secret," ABCNews, July 14, 2012
- "Whistleblowers Win $46.5m in Foreclosure Settlement," CNN, July 2, 2012
- "Whistleblowers Beware: Most Claims End in Disappointment," Huffington Post, June 4, 2012
- "Whistleblower Takes Home $14.5M in BoA Mortgage Deal," Law360, May 29, 2012
- "Bank of Amer. Whistleblower Receives $14.5m in Mortgage Case," Reuters, May 29, 2012
- "BoA Denied Homeowners Access to HAMP: Whistleblower," Law360, Mar. 7, 2012
- "Countrywide Inflated Home Values: Whistleblower Suit," Law360, Feb. 24, 2012
- "Killers of Somali Cabbie Get Longest Sentences Allowed," Seattle P-I, Mar. 24, 2006
- Author, “The Honorable Betty B. Fletcher: A Tribute to a Legal Trailblazer,” Federal Bar Association, November 2012
- Speaker: “Whistleblowers & Financial Fraud,” National Whistleblower Conference. San Francisco, CA. Jan. 22-23, 2018
- Speaker: “Financial Fraud,” National Qui Tam Conference. Los Angeles, CA. Nov. 3-4, 2016
- Speaker: “Representing Dodd-Frank Whistleblowers,” Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund, Annual Conference. Washington, D.C. Nov. 16, 2015.
- Speaker: “Secrets from the Plaintiff’s Bar,” Hospital and Health Care Law Conference: University of Washington. Seattle, WA. Apr. 24, 2015.
- Speaker: “False Claims in the Financial Sector,” False Claims and Qui Tam Enforcement Conference. New York, New York. Jan. 21-22, 2015.
- Lecture: “Access to Civil Remedy,” Business, Social Responsibility, & Human Rights, University of Washington School of Law. Seattle, Washington. Nov. 4, 2014
- Speaker: “Enforcement of Financial Fraud,” False Claims Act: National Qui Tam Conference. San Francisco, California. Oct. 27-28, 2014.
- Lecture: “Human Rights Law After Kiobel,” University of Washington School of Law. Seattle, Washington. Nov. 12, 2013.
- Speaker: “Financial Fraud Enforcement,” False Claims Act: All Points of View, National Conference. San Francisco, California. Apr. 18-19, 2013.
- Lecture: “Strategy after Kiobel and Bauman,” International Human Rights Seminar, University of Washington School of Law. Seattle, Washington. Apr. 17, 2013.
- Lecture: “Alien Tort Statute and Human Rights Litigation,” University of Washington School of Law. Seattle, Washington. Nov. 13, 2012.
- Speaker: “Protecting Whistleblowers, Protecting the Public,” Whistleblowing: Law, Compliance, and the Public Interest. Government Accountability Project. Seattle University School of Law. Seattle, Washington. Mar. 23, 2012.