Annual Antitrust Report Highlights Outstanding Legal Return and Litigation by Hagens Berman
SEATTLE — Attorneys at Hagens Berman set a record in 2022, filing more antitrust complaints in the last 14 years than any other law firm, and its antitrust legal team has matched its quantity of cases with quality, returning top tier levels of settlement class recovery in this area of litigation.
UC Law SF’s Center for Litigation and Courts teamed with Huntington Bank to publish the 2022 Antitrust Annual Report regarding class actions in federal court in September 2023 to share relevant data and information in the complex world of antitrust law.
Hagens Berman’s antitrust legal team takes on cases spanning a variety of areas including the cost of prescription drugs, consumer price-fixing, college sports scholarships, illegal wage stagnation and no-poach agreements as well as anticompetitive practices affecting housing and rental markets.
“Our firm proudly stays at the vanguard of litigation, pursuing class-action cases in a timely fashion, regarding current issues that affect millions of people,” Berman said. “Our antitrust legal team routinely outpaces federal agencies and lays the groundwork for others to play catchup, following in our first-to-file footsteps.”
By the Numbers: Hagens Berman Takes the Lead
- Hagens Berman’s settlements accounted for 35% of total U.S. antitrust settlements that reached final approval in 2022, including the two largest antitrust recoveries to receive final approval, In re Glumetza Antitrust Litigation ($453.85 million settlement) and In re Ranbaxy Generic Drug Application Antitrust Litigation ($340 million settlement).
- Hagens Berman has nine cases recognized in the 50 largest U.S. antitrust settlements during 2009-2022, amounting to $2.5 billion returned to plaintiffs.
- The firm is ranked third in aggregate U.S. antitrust settlement class recovery ($3.9 billion) during 2009-2022.
- Hagens Berman has filed more antitrust complaints (304) during 2009-2022 than any other law firm.
- In this same time period, the firm was lead counsel in 87 settlements, ranked 12th in the top 25 firms.
By industry, pharmaceuticals ranked second only to financial services during 2009-2022, in line with Hagens Berman’s blockbuster antitrust settlements: In re Glumetza Antitrust Litigation ($453.85 million settlement) and In re Ranbaxy Generic Drug Application Antitrust Litigation ($340 million settlement), the top two aggregate settlements reaching final approval in 2022.
The firm’s case against Apple Inc. on behalf of iOS app developers also took tenth place, Donald R. Cameron v Apple ($100 million settlement), and National ATM Council Inc. et al v Visa Inc et al took the fifteenth position ($66.74 million settlement). Three more settlements received charted positions: In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation ($44.95 million settlement), In re Pork Antitrust Litigation ($20 million settlement) and In re Turkey Antitrust Litigation ($4.65 million settlement).
“We are proud to see Hagens Berman in the top tier of contributing law firms making real change in the world through antitrust litigation,” Berman added. “Our antitrust legal team looks to continue this trend, filing antitrust class actions that are impactful, relevant and embody the kind of leadership we believe consumers deserve.”
# # #
About Hagens Berman
Hagens Berman is a global plaintiffs’ rights complex litigation law firm with a tenacious drive for achieving real results for those harmed by corporate negligence and fraud. Since its founding in 1993, the firm’s determination has earned it numerous national accolades, awards and titles of “Most Feared Plaintiff’s Firm,” MVPs and Trailblazers of class-action law. More about the law firm and its successes can be found at www.hbsslaw.com. Follow the firm for updates and news at @ClassActionLaw.