- Daniel J. Kurowski is a partner at Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP. Since 2006, Mr. Kurowski has focused his practice on protecting the interests of individuals and small companies prejudiced by large corporations and organizations. Based in Chicago, with cases located throughout the country, his current work with the firm covers a diverse variety of complex cases including:
- Representing individuals economically affected by COVID-19, including passengers denied refunds on flights cancelled by airlines as well as students/payors of tuition and fees in litigation against U.S. colleges and universities that closed and only offered online only courses due to the outbreak of COVID-19 but continued to charge full tuition and fees.
- Representing athletes in individual personal injury and class-action litigation arising out of concussions/traumatic brain injuries suffered during sporting activities, including in In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation (N.D. Ill.) and In Re NFL Players' Concussion Injury Litig. (E.D. Pa.).
- Representing consumers of electricity in certified class action alleging claims against nearly two dozen defendants for perpetuating an extensive fuel oil fraud, resulting in users of electricity in Puerto Rico being overcharged by more than $1 billion dollars for electricity since 2002.
- Representing purchasers with antitrust, consumer fraud and/or unjust enrichment claims against sellers and manufacturers of retail products.
- In re Pre-Filled Propane Sales & Marketing Practices Litigation (W.D. Mo.) ($35 million in settlements involving multiple defendants)
- In re Bayer Combination Aspirin Sales & Marketing Practices Litigation (E.D.N.Y.) ($15 million settlement)
- In re Aurora Dairy Organic Milk Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (E.D. Mo.) ($7.5 million settlement)
- Silk v. Bowling Green State University (Ohio Court of Claims) ($712,500 individual settlement for student-athlete injured as a result of alleged failures to properly manage athlete’s concussions)
- In Re NFL Players’ Concussion Injury Litigation (E.D. Pa.) (over $6.1 million in approved claims for former NFL players)
- In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation (N.D. Ill.) (creating a $70 million 50-year medical monitoring program for former student-athletes to screen for and track head injuries, a $5 million fund for concussion research, and implementing changes to NCAA concussion rules to protect current student-athletes)
- Federal judicial law clerk, Hon. Paul E. Plunkett and Hon. Maria Valdez
- Intern, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois and with Hon. Ronald A. Guzman and his staff
- During law school, Mr. Kurowski received multiple academic scholarships, served as a staff member and Lead Articles Editor for The John Marshall Law Review, and received an award for an appellate brief submitted in a national moot court competition
- Seventh Circuit Council on eDiscovery and Digital Information
- Member of American Association for Justice, Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association
- Investigator, Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Illinois Class Action/Mass Torts Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2020
- Illinois Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015 - 2020
- Aurora Dairy Corporation Organic Milk Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (E.D. Mo.)
- Bayer Corp. Combination Aspirin Product Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (E.D.N.Y.)
- Pre-Filled Propane Tank Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (W.D. Mo.)
- RC2 Corp. Toy Lead Paint Products Liability Litigation (N.D. Ill.)
- In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation (N.D. Ill.)
An avid cyclist, Dan enjoys staying active by competing in cyclocross races. Dan is also a board member for the DuPage Cycling Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that raises fund for community non-profits through the hosting and promotion of cycling events.