Served as federal prosecutor for more than nine years, prosecuting tax cases, fraud and other financial crimes. Extensive experience trying complex cases to verdict.
Click for more information:
- Of Counsel, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on antitrust and other fraud cases, including Animation Workers Antitrust, Batteries Antitrust and Nespresso Antitrust
- Mr. Patterson brings to the firm extensive trial experience and a history of prosecuting complex fraud cases, including tax fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud, money laundering and prescription fraud.
- Prior to joining Hagens Berman, Mr. Patterson served as an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle, WA.
- Prosecuted complex fraud cases, including tax fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, and prescription fraud
- Served as Project Safe Childhood Coordinator; led efforts to investigate and prosecute child pornography and child exploitation cases
- Led prosecution of large-scale drug trafficking organizations, including cartels and street gangs, to interdict drug smuggling and investigate money laundering
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice Washington, D.C., Tax Division, Northern Criminal Enforcement Section
- Co-chaired prosecution of two defendants, in separate trials, for scheme to defraud the Cleveland Catholic Diocese
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C. Nov. 2006 - May 2007
- Prosecuted 22 bench trials in Sex Offense/Domestic Violence Section
- Associate, Wilmer Cutler Pickering (WilmerHale)
- Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force “Best Financial Investigation in the Nation” – 2012
- U.S. Attorney General “Outstanding Performance as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney” – 2010
- Assistant Attorney General “Outstanding Tax Division Attorney” – 2009
- Assistant Attorney General “Outstanding Tax Division Attorney” – 2008
- In re Animation Workers Antitrust Litig., 14-cv-4062 LHK (N.D. Cal.): Class-action antitrust case against major animation studios for conspiring to fix wages of their animators
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litig., 12-cv-5129 YGR (N.D. Cal.): Class-action antitrust case against large battery producers for conspiring to fix prices
- Nespresso v. Ethical Coffee Co., 16-cv-0194 GMS (D. Del.): Represents counterclaimants, alleging Nespresso monopolized the single-serve coffee capsule market through predatory redesigns of their coffee machines
- Melton v. Century Arms, 16-cv-21008 FAM (S.D. Fla.): Class-action case against assault rifle manufacturer for selling rifles with a defective safety level, causing rifles to discharge without warning
- As a federal prosecutor, led or co-chaired 11 federal jury trials, and 22 bench trials
Although not a Washington state native, Mr. Patterson has quickly adopted Seattle as his hometown. In his spare time, he and his family enjoy the local wineries, lakes and hiking trails.