- Partner & Management Committee Member, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on antitrust, consumer protection and RICO litigation against drug and medical device manufacturers in complex class actions and personal injury cases for consumers, large and small health plans, direct purchasers and state governments
- Co-lead class counsel for direct purchasers in In re Glumetza Antitrust Litigation (N.D. CA.)
- Co-lead class counsel for direct purchasers in In re Intuniv Antitrust Litigation (D. Mass.)
- Co-lead interim class counsel for end payors in In re Humira (Adalimumab) Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ill.)
- Co-lead interim class counsel for student purchasers in In re Inclusive Access Course Materials Antitrust Litigation (S.D. N.Y.)
- As co-lead class counsel, helped secure $72.5 million class settlement for direct purchaser class three days before trial in MDL 2503: In re Solodyn Anitrust Litigation
- Helped reach a $73 million class settlement for direct purchasers in MDL No. 2343: In re. Skelaxin Antitrust Litigation
- Represented the state of Connecticut and helped secure a $25M settlement in its’ action against Eli Lilly over unlawful promotion of and misrepresentations about Zyprexa
- Represented health benefit providers in the firm's Ketek and copay subsidies class litigation, and individuals harmed by pharmaceuticals such as Yaz, Actos and Granuflo and medical devices including pelvic mesh
- Served as pro bono counsel in a successful constitutional challenge to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ exclusion of legal immigrants from the state’s universal healthcare program
- Served as liaison counsel for In re Fresenius Granuflo/Naturalyte Dialysate Products Liability Litigation
- Active in the fights against forced arbitration federal preemption of consumer rights, working to ensure the public maintains access to the civil justice system and the ability to seek remedies when companies violate the law
- Co-authored an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in Pliva v. Mensing on behalf of practitioners and professors who teach and write on various aspects of pharmaceutical regulation and the delivery of healthcare
- Worked at Conflict Management Group where she worked with members of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees on a pilot project in Bosnia-Herzegovina designed to ease tensions and encourage reconciliation in post-conflict societies, and contributed to Imagine Coexistence, a book developed out of the collaboration
- Serves on the Board of On The Rise, a Cambridge, MA daytime shelter for homeless women and women in crisis
American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Executive Committee, Member (2014-2015, 2019-present)
- Board of Governors, Member (2012-present)
- Law Schools Committee, Co-Chair (2010-present)
- Committee on the Judiciary, Chair (2018-present)
- Antitrust Litigation Group, Former Chair (2016-2018)
- Women Trial Lawyers Caucus, Former Chair (2012-2013)
- Class Action Litigation Group, Former Co-Chair (2011-2012)
- New Lawyers Division, Board of Governors (2009-2014)
- Committees (various), Member
- AAJ Trial Lawyers Care Task Force, Member (2012-present)
- Board of Directors, Member (2018-present)
- Class Action Preservation Project, Chair (2020-present); Vice Chair (2019-2020)
Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Executive Committee, Member (2012-2014; 2017-present)
- Board of Governors, Member (2011-present)
Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims at Emory Law, Emerging Leaders Board of Advisors (2015-2017)
Boston Bar Association, Class Action Committee, Co-Chair (2014-2018)
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2020)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2018, 2019)
- AAJ Marie Lambert Award (2018)
- AAJ Distinguished Service Award (2015, 2017, 2018)
- AAJ Women’s Caucus Excellence in Leadership Award (2017, 2019)
- AAJ Above and Beyond Award (2016)
- Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims at Emory Law, Emerging Leaders Board of Advisors – inaugural class (2015-2017)
- National Law Journal Boston Rising Star Award (2014)
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys President’s Award (2014)
- Massachusetts Bar Association Up & Coming Lawyer Award (2013)
- Massachusetts Rising Star (2014, 2015)
- AAJ New Lawyers Division Excellence Award (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
- AAJ New Lawyers Division Above and Beyond Award (2012)
- AAJ Wiedemann & Wysocki Award (2012, 2013)
- $72.5 Million Recovery in Solodyn Antitrust Action
In July 2018, the Honorable Denise J. Casper of the District of Massachusetts granted final approval to a $72.5 million class settlement for direct purchasers of brand and generic Solodyn. HBSS was co-lead class counsel in this case alleging Medicis entered into a series of reverse payment deals to delay entry of generic Solodyn and used the period of delay to effectuate a product hop, all resulting in overcharges by direct purchasers. The case settled three days before trial.
In re Solodyn Antitrust Litigation, D. Mass., MDL No. 2503
- $73 Million Recovery for Direct Purchasers of Skelaxin
On Sept. 24, 2014, Judge Curtis Collier of the Eastern District of Tennessee approved a $73 million settlement for direct purchasers of Skelaxin in litigation alleging Skelaxin’s manufacturer colluded with would-be generic competitors, fraudulently delaying generic competition and leading to higher prices. Metaxalone was sold under the brand name Skelaxin since 1962, but the original patent expired in 1979. Manufacturers applied to market generic metaxalone in 2002, and generic competitors remained foreclosed from marketing generic metaxalone until 2010. Hagens Berman served as lead counsel for direct purchasers.
In re Skelaxin (Metaxalone) Antitrust Litigation, E.D.TN., Civil Action No. 1:12-md-2343.
- Health care coverage for 40,000 legal immigrants in Massachusetts
On Jan. 5, 2012, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled unanimously that a state law barring 40,000 low-income legal immigrants from the state’s universal health care program unconstitutionally violates those immigrants’ rights to equal protection under the law and must be struck down. Hagens Berman served as pro bono counsel.
Finch v. Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority, Mass., Civil Action No. SJC-11025.
- $25 million for the state of Connecticut for Zyprexa fraud
On Oct. 5, 2009, U.S. District Court Judge Jack B. Weinstein approved a $25 million settlement reached by the parties to conclude the state’s Zyprexa litigation that alleged Lilly engaged in unlawful off-label promotion and misrepresented Zyprexa’s safety and efficacy, resulting in millions of dollars in excess pharmaceutical costs. Hagens Berman served as outside counsel to Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.
State of Connecticut v. Eli Lilly & Co., E.D.N.Y., Civil Action No. 08-cv-955-JBW.
"How Mandatory Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers Undermine Consumer Rights and Why We Need Congress to Act," Harvard Law and Policy Review, August 2015
Unlike many of her colleagues at HBSS, Lauren does not run marathons – unless chasing after her three children counts. Lauren did wrestle in college but refused to don the wrestling singlet. Whenever she can, Lauren rock climbs with her in-laws, breathes deeply at yoga, and hosts dinner parties to, despite usual advice, try totally new recipes. She also keeps the pizza delivery guy on speed dial as back-up for such occasions.