Mr. Bauer has been at the forefront of child and social welfare policymaking and litigation in Washington State for more than a decade, and has extensive experience in litigation involving abuse, neglect and exploitation of children and vulnerable adults.
Click for more information:
- Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on personal injury and civil rights cases
Mr. Bauer has litigated numerous multi-million dollar cases involving children and vulnerable adults who have suffered profound abuse, neglect or exploitation. Recent recoveries include:
- Settlement on behalf of five children abused and neglected by their biological parents ($9.75 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a developmentally-disabled woman who was abused, neglected and financially exploited by her state-paid, in-home caregiver ($5.52 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a young child who was abused and neglected by his biological parents ($5.5 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a young child who was abused and neglected by her biological mother ($4.0 million)
- Settlement on behalf of an infant abused in day care setting ($2.84 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a developmentally-disabled woman abused and neglected by her state-paid, in-home caregiver ($2.5 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a developmentally-disabled woman who was sexually and financially exploited by her state-paid, in-home caregiver ($2.4 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a young woman sexually abused by her biological father ($2.0 million)
- Settlement on behalf of a vulnerable woman sexually assaulted in a hospital emergency room ($1.2 million)
Prior to joining Hagens Berman, Mr. Bauer served as an Assistant Attorney General with the Washington State Attorney General’s Office. In this role, Mr. Bauer coordinated the defense of civil rights and tort litigation against DSHS, WSDOT, WSP and other state agencies, and supervised two teams of highly-experienced attorneys and professional staff. Mr. Bauer also carried a significant caseload of high-profile tort and civil rights cases, as well as cases involving the operation and funding of Washington’s foster care, mental health and public assistance systems. Mr. Bauer also advised executive-level agency staff and state risk managers on a wide variety of complex legal issues, including tactical litigation decisions, the implications of legislative, judicial, political and policy decisions, and emergent situations involving the risk of significant exposure.
- Member, Washington Association for Justice
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Mr. Bauer has received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer-reviewed national rating a lawyer can obtain, reflecting a preeminent legal ability and exceptional ethical standards.
- Rising Star, Washington Law & Politics Magazine (2009, 2016, 2017)
Mr. Bauer is a former collegiate soccer player who continues to follow the game religiously.