A nationally recognized leader in investor advocacy both inside and outside the courtroom.
Mike Stocker co-chairs Hagens Berman’s securities practice with managing partner, Steve Berman. He joined the firm to fight for the same belief spurring the firm's founding: that the powerful must be subject to the same rules as the powerless.
Leveraging the firm's unparalleled track record in bringing corporate giants to justice, Mike works with Hagen Berman’s securities team to protect the transparency and integrity of the U.S. financial markets.
Mike takes a proactive approach to securities litigation, identifying cases using meticulous investigation backed by experts drawn from law enforcement and accounting.
Through work in print and broadcast media, he ensures his advocacy for investors does not end at the courthouse steps, pressing for protection and reform intended not only to redress past harm but to prevent future violations.
- Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Co-chair of the firm’s securities practice
- Helped secure a more than $1 billion recovery against an American multinational insurance corporation and 21 other defendants
- Helped secure a $275 million settlement with a global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm and a $19.9 million settlement with their auditor, one of the Big Four accounting firms
- Held a leadership role in litigating a landmark action against a multinational health care company
- Labaton Sucharow, led teams identifying and prosecuting securities and data privacy class-action cases (2006-2018)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Senior Staff Attorney
- Legal externship with federal Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton, currently sitting in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Mike advises non-profit investor and consumer organizations regarding the U.S. markets.
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA)
- New York State Bar Association · Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Law360's Securities Editorial Advisory Board for three consecutive years (2013-2016)
- Markets Advisory Council appointment by the Council of Institutional Investors (2015-2017)
- The American Law Institute, elected member
- Advisory Committee for the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance of the University of Delaware (2016-2017)
- John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance of the University of Delaware, Advisory Committee Member (2017)
- American Law Institute (ALI), Elected Member (2016)
- Law360, Securities Editorial Advisory Board (2013-2016)
- Council of Institutional Investors (CII), Markets Advisory Council, Elected Member (2015-2017)
Media Interviews and Commentary
- Banks on Trial, Australian Broadcasting Network, 07/31/2016 (Audio)
- Mike is frequently contacted by the media for securities expertise and has recently appeared on PBS, Bloomberg, Vator, Fox Business, the Australian Broadcasting Network and Law360.
- Thomson Reuters Westlaw Journal Securities Litigation & Regulation, “Cyber Threats and Securities Litigation: The Emerging Landscape” (10/27/2016)
- Forbes, “Shareholders Sue Companies for Lying About Cyber Security” (10/27/2016)
- National Association of Public Pension Plan Attorneys (NAPPA) White Paper, “Post-Morrison: The Global Journey Toward Asset Recovery” (06/30/2016)
- Daily Journal, “Securities Act cases are surging in…state courts?” (07/28/2015)
- Association of Benefit Administrators (ABA), “2014 Securities Litigation Overview” (05/01/2014)
- National Association of Public Pension Plan Attorneys (NAPPA), “Mandatory Arbitration Agreements: A New Attack on Access to the Courts” (04/30/2014)
- Pensions & Investments, “Accounting Danger Signs: Tools For Investors” (07/30/2013)
- American Banker, “JPMorgan Shareholders Chose Wrong Side of History” (06/04/2013)
- Economia, “Autonomy, HP and the FRC: Who Has the Most to Lose?” (02/18/2013)
- Ethisphere, “Flawed Credit Ratings and the Impact on Investment” (01/31/2013)
- Lawyers Monthly Magazine, “Legal Focus - USA: M&A Litigation” (01/01/2013)
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Roadshow 2.0, “Precision Advocacy: Reinventing Motion Practice to Win” (Panelist) (04/27/2017)
- Skytop Strategies, “Legal Tsunami – The Growing Body of Cases and Associated Costs” (Speaker) and “Avoiding Shareholder Action – How to Integrate All Internal Stakeholders into the Cyber Risk Governance Defense” (Moderator) (03/16/2017)
- Council of Institutional Investors (CII), “Teleconference on Cybersecurity from an Investor's Perspective” (Speaker) (10/26/2016)
- Practising Law Institute (PLI), “Cyber Securities Litigation: When Data Breaches Become Fraud Suits” (Speaker) (06/09/2016)
- Webinar, “Alternative Investments for Pension Funds: Balancing Return and Transparency in Volatile Markets” (Moderator) (05/12/2016)
- Institute for Law and Economic Policy (ILEP), "22nd Annual Symposium, “Private Suits While the Regulator Slumbers” (Moderator) (04/08/2016)
- State Financial Officers Foundation, “2015 Fall National Meeting” (Panelist) (09/22/2015)
- Institute for Law and Economic Policy (ILEP), “21st Annual Symposium” (Panelist) (04/17/2015)
- Council of Institutional Investors (CII), “Teleconference: Halliburton Co. v. Erica P. John Fund, Inc.” (Panelist) (07/16/2014)
- West LegalEdcenter, “Preparing to Clear OTC Derivatives to Ensure June 10th Compliance: The Brave New World of Swaps Clearing under Dodd-Frank” (Webinar Speaker) (05/14/2013)
- German Bar Association, “Litigating Banking Claims in U.S. Courts - An Insight” (Panelist) (04/22/2013)
- Mandarin Chinese
Mike grew up on a sailboat with three siblings, a dog and a cat. He later studied classical Chinese at Beijing University.