Mr. Loeser obtained judgments in cases that have returned billions of dollars to millions of consumers.
Tom Loeser is an accomplished trial attorney who has been involved in consumer fraud cases that have returned billions of dollars to millions of consumers. Mr. Loeser’s practice involves highly complex matters involving computing and software, and matters where both civil and criminal investigations are involved.
Mr. Loeser, working with Hagens Berman’s managing partner, Steve Berman, helped lead the firm’s work in In re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation where Mr. Berman was a member of the PSC, and the firm represented both defrauded consumers and defrauded dealers. Mr. Loeser was involved in the Volkswagen Franchise Dealer Action, where Hagens Berman was lead counsel, and he worked closely with Steve Berman on all aspects of that case through approval of a $1.2 billion settlement with Volkswagen. Also with Mr. Berman, Mr. Loeser successfully prosecuted a nationwide class action against Tesla Motors that resulted in every class member being sent a check for damages related to Tesla’s delay in rolling out its Enhanced Autopilot features.
Mr. Loeser’s practice has included the prosecution and resolution of dozens of complex actions against the titans of industry, including national banks, insurers, builders, title companies, carmakers, mortgage lenders, pharmaceutical giants, trucking companies and nationwide retailers. Mr. Loeser specializes in and has thrived in the prosecution of cases that are not just complex because of the legal and procedural issues involved, but also because of the technological sophistication of the products, services or bad acts underlying the legal claims.
Mr. Loeser has a unique experience and skill set that has driven his success in complex and technical cases. For nearly five years, Mr. Loeser was an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles, where he was a member of the Cyber and Intellectual Property Crimes Section. Mr. Loeser investigated and prosecuted legion hacking, identity theft and intellectual property crimes. His work as a cyber-prosecutor included intensive training at federal law enforcement facilities of the FBI, Secret Service, Homeland Security and at the National Advocacy Center.
Prior to his appointment as an AUSA, Mr. Loeser was an Intellectual Property associate at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosatti in Silicon Valley. Prior to law school, Mr. Loeser worked in Treasury at Microsoft Corp. and at the Hewlett-Packard Co. Mr. Loeser’s training in computer and technology-centered investigations is unmatched in the consumer plaintiffs’ bar. His experience brings knowledge in technology-related matters that is often on-par with the experts hired for the litigation.
Mr. Loeser speaks frequently at conferences and CLEs on complex civil litigation, class actions and data breach litigation. His recent speaking engagements include: HarrisMartin’s National Opioid Litigation Conference (“The Opioid Crisis: How It Was Created and What To Do About It”), Law Seminars International Class Action Conference (“Trends in Automobile Defect Litigation”) and HB’s Data Breach & Privacy Litigation Conference (“Sleuthing: Investigation & Evidence Collecting in a Cyber World”).
- Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
- Practice focuses on automobile defect litigation, class actions, False Claims Act and other whistleblower cases, consumer protection and data breach/identity-theft/privacy cases
- Successfully litigated class-action lawsuits against mortgage lenders, appraisal management companies, automobile manufacturers, national banks, home builders, hospitals, title insurers, technology companies and data processors
- Currently prosecuting consumer protection class-action cases against banks, automobile manufacturers, lenders, loan servicing companies, technology companies, national retailers, payment processors and False Claims Act whistleblower suits now under seal
- Obtained judgments in cases that have returned hundreds of billions of dollars to millions of consumers
- Experience trying cases in federal and state courts
- Served as lead or co-lead counsel in 12 federal jury trials and has presented more than a dozen cases to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- As a federal prosecutor in Los Angeles, Mr. Loeser was a member of the Cyber and Intellectual Property Crimes Section and regularly appeared in the Central District trial courts and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, 2020-2023
- Washington Super Lawyers, 2016-2023
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent rating, 2016-2022
- Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2020
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, 2019-2020
- Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2019
- Lawdragon 500, Lawdragon, 2019
- Top Attorneys in Washington, Seattle Met magazine, 2016-2019
- Volkswagen/Bosch Emissions Defect Litigation
- Tesla Enhanced Autopilot Delay Litigation
- Shea Homes Consumer Protection Litigation
- Meracord/Noteworld Debt Settlement Litigation
- Defective RV Refrigerators Litigation
- New Jersey Medicare Outlier Litigation
- Center for Diagnostic Imaging Qui Tam Litigation
- Countrywide FHA Fraud Qui Tam Litigation
- Chicago Title Insurance Co. Litigation
- KB Homes Captive Escrow Litigation
- Aurora Loan Modification Litigation
- Wells Fargo HAMP Modification Litigation
- JPMorgan Chase Force-Placed Flood Insurance Litigation
- Wells Fargo Force-Placed Insurance Litigation
- Target Data Breach Litigation
- Cornerstone Advisors Derivative Litigation
- Honda Civic Hybrid Litigation
- Hyundai MPG Litigation